Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Credit where credit is due

If there was ever a good story about a State Agency it has to be the Motor Vehicle commission and the stunning turn around in its service. For years I dreaded going to a MVC office. Inevitably I would pick up form that had no directions, fill out said form, stand in a line that I hoped was the right one, get up to the window only to be told by a sullen worker that I;

A) had the wrong form.
B) Filled the form out incorrectly.
C) Was a complete idiot and needed to return to school and get a first grade education as any fool would know what to do.

I recently went to register a trailer, you know, the ones landscaper's use. Since I had never done this I allotted a full afternoon to accomplish my mission. I packed a water bottle, two bologna sandwiches, a dry pack of matches and two cyanide pills just in case.

When I walked in a a very nice woman greated me, asked why I was there and highlighted the fields on the form that I needed to fill out. She explained the various issues associated with registering trailers and explained what would happen next. I filled out the form, sat down in a chair to wait for my number to be called. Faster than I could unwrap my bologna sandwich my number was called. At the window a pleasant woman met me, smiled, reviewed my documents and chatted with me as she processed my registration. In minutes I was done. I found myself walking out thanking the people that helped me.

Stunning. The person that accomplished this turn around is Diane Legreide. She deserves sainthood.

2 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Sluggo said...

A 'public servant' who actually is! And worth every penny. Gotta stick her in somewhere to fix the car insurance business.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger joated said...

had to be up in Ledgewood. Any other DMV and it would have been an "off day" for you to get treated...well, humanely.

In all honesty, they DMV offices have been getting better. But the rural areas are light years ahead of the "city" offices where they are just overwhelmed with numbers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home